Putting Yourself Out There In The Big Wide World!
I know it can feel so scary to put yourself out there in the world, online, in real life, anywhere really. It's way more comfortable when you just sit back, cross your fingers and hope your customer will knock on the door or you'll get an email opportunity to change your life. But you know it doesn't work like that. You have to be putting yourself out there, you have to champion yourself so that others can do so too!
I used to CRY at the thought of posting anything on the internet. Honestly, I was absolutely frozen in fear about the whole thing. And now look: you can't get rid of me! ;)
It's totally possible to turn it around so that you can feel comfortable with visibility, it's a bit by bit, step by step process, as with anything. Put your face out there. Dip your toe in. Do it once, then do it again. Until it's just a thing you do without thought.
Here are some tips to help >>>
1. People care more about themselves than they do about what you're up to. Seriously, I know the major fear of 'what will other people think' is really up there, but I promise they are so concerned with themselves they won't even notice!
2. Your message / gifts / talents / skills are NEEDED in the world. There's a lot of crazy going on in the world and you have a responsibility to share goodness with the people who need it. Brighten someone's day with what you share!
3. Your clients and customers are out there WILLING you to get in front of them. People are looking for exactly what you have to offer. Make it easy for them to find you, they need you. When you remember it's not about YOU, it's about the people who need what you've got to share, things really begin to shift.
4. People need to know, like and trust you before they buy from you, so showing up and giving them a chance to do that is absolutely key in getting engagement and making sales.
5. You're always being seen. Even if you don't see the physical engagement like the 'likes' and 'comments' - know that you're always being seen and trust that people are liking what you're doing. Think of all the things you see online that you really like but you perhaps don't physically hit the 'like' button on. Hold the faith and keep going.
6. Consistency is crucial. Again with the 'know, like, trust' factor, we humans are creatures of habit and when we see consistency we relate it very closely with trust and loyalty. Become a loyal brand to your customers so they know what to expect, and build that trust factor.
7. It can take between 7-21 interactions with a customer before they commit to buying with you! So again, sharing your knowledge frequently and consistently is really important in getting in front of your people.
8. You have so much knowledge to share. You haven't spent all that money or done all that work to learn what you know and keep it to yourself right? Share your stuff - it is SO valuable and so helpful. You're sitting on a mountain of value, it would be pretty selfish to keep it to yourself...
9. Just because YOU know something really well, doesn't mean other people do. When something is second nature to you it can feel like everyone in the world knows it, but they don't. Share what you know, we want to hear it!
10. What's the worst that can happen? Seriously, ask yourself this question. What is the worst thing that could happen? And how would you handle that worst thing if it did happen? Chances are it's not that terrible and you'd easily be able to handle it.
11. What happens if you don't? If you stay the same and don't get visible, what will happen? Just asking. No right or wrong answers. Reflect on this.
Now, I must add, this definitely doesn't mean you have to start your own Facebook group and speak to camera every day on Instagram stories like I do. But what's your version of getting visible? Is it sharing on social media - on Instagram, a Facebook Page, Twitter? Is it doing talks at local events? Is it going to networking meetings? Is it sending out a regular newsletter? Is it posting an advert?
Decide what visibility is to you, and go for it, consistently. We are cheering you on with every step!
Your only action step today: keep going!